Sunday, November 12, 2006

What are you hiding?

I am hiding all kinds of ridiculous things lately. And while I am very good at hiding, sometimes I am not so great at finding. (Somewhere in this house is my one and only sex toy that I was scared my maid might find. Neither of us has come across it in almost 2 years!)

Last night the hubby and I decided to go to a movie. We called the babysitter and she was available. Time to hide some stuff. No, not my jewels or our other riches, but food we hoped to see when we returned home.

The issue with the babysitter (a long-time, single friend of mine who is 6'1", thin and eats like a football team) is that 1.) she tends to gravitate toward very expensive food or things that my hubby has bought as a special treat for one of us and 2.) she eats things in their entirety.

Last month the hubby brought me back a box of dark chocolate from Holland. I assume it was fabulous, because she ate it all in one evening. (She had cleverly taken out the trash, so it was as if the chocolate never even existed!) Another time she ate a POUND of fancy peppered salami that we bought for a little shin-dig we were having the following evening.

I personally find it kind of amusing, but the hubby gets a little irritated, so off I went to hide our beloved treats. The Mini Milanos went under the rice. The Reese's left over from Halloween went behind the tea. Then, the hubby calls out "don't forget to hide the salami." (A game I never thought I would play with the babysitter! )

7 comments:

dalene said...

She ate an entire pound of perppered salami?

That's hysterical!

Great post!

dalene said...

Of course, I realize it was actually peppered salami, but it's still really funny!

Anonymous said...

Hah! I found you from Jenny's blog!

LOL at playing hide the salami with the baby sitter! Sounds like something my husband would say.

But not do. Never, never do!!

KB said...

LOL....am dying..biggest reason I've never bought a toy was the idea of my mother finding it if something ever happened to me. They should have a self-destruct feature....

Super Happy Girl said...

Hey, at least you have friends with great taste :-) She eats all your cool stuff and pretends nothing happened? Wow.

Hiding? I'm hiding nothing, no sir.
I used to play "hide all the candy, chocolates and canned chili" with my stepkids. I was the only one playing, it was so much fun, I always won!.
It's just that they'd come and even if I'd shared with them, they just end up eating it all and not leaving any for us: once I cooked 2 packages of bacon (more than plenty if you ask me), they left me and my kids 2 slices, even thought they knew we' probably want some >:(

KB: many things should come with a self-destruct feature.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Its only a matter of time before your toddler finds your toy like a heat seeking missile. They're programmed to find everything we don't want them to have.

Miss Cartier said...

I always considered "help yourself to anything in the fridge" to mean "enjoy a soda if you like, but the pound of peppered salami is off limits, obviously."
I guess your sitter was taking the literal approach to that time-honored offer.