Friday, November 03, 2006

She's just one angry woman

Yesterday, I had the incredible pleasure of going to a luncheon featuring Helen Thomas. At 86 years old, she is quick-witted, smart, opinionated, and inspiring. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Thomas)

Not only is she a legend in journalism, she was a trailblazer for the women's rights movement. When asked about that, she said "I was just one angry woman...part of a mob."







Helen and me!







Here are a few tidbits I wrote down:

- When Fidel Castro was asked the difference between U.S. democracy and his democracy, he said "I don't have to answer questions from Helen Thomas."

- When asked about "leaks," Helen said "leaks are absolutely necessary. I salute all whistler blowers."

- Asked about the best presidents, Helen spoke on the achievements of JFK and LBJ. "That's two Democrats, now let's take two Republicans," the moderator said. "WHY?" she said.

So a BIG shout out to my friend Stasa, who invited me to this fabulous event. As a former high school newspaper editor and journalism major, it was a real honor to meet Helen Thomas. She rocks.

P.S. The moderator made a major faux pas when he mentioned that Helen was a guest on "The Daily Show with Stephen Cobert." EEEK! My poor Jon got dissed.

6 comments:

omar said...

Mst have been a cozy luncheon! You two are all hugging and touching heads and stuff!

I didn't know who she was, but I can appreciate the experience.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I loathe Helen Thomas for oh, so many reasons. However, I do like you Rhonda, thus proving a balance of positive and negative in the Universe.

Rhonda Sloan said...

HA! Let's not go into all those reasons. :)

I'm not advocating anyone's politics, for me it's more about who she is as a journalist and the fact that she has no fear. She asks tough questions...she isn't worried about making friends...and she made it to the top in a man's world.

And thank you for the compliment. I hope to remain a positive! :)

Super Happy Girl said...

I saw the picture and I'm like "THAT'S HELEN HUGGING RHONDA!!" (Yes, I was yelling in my head).

WOW! (still yelling sorry), I don't like her either BUT she's a pretty gutsy lady, has seen a ton of history being made and I can totally appreciate that.
Cool!

"The Daily Show with Stephen Cobert.", oh man :P

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your latest blogs lately. Questions:
1. did a third bad thing happen?
2. what is that vehicle called?
3. why does your husband drive it?
4. where can I get one?
5. who sits down and makes up all those weird word verification thingies and then gives the letters twisty shapes so you have to have mind reading powers to actually decipher them?
I await your reply.
All the best
Word Imp

Rhonda Sloan said...

Hey WordImp: Here's my answers:
1. Not really, but No Cool Story suggested it was the kid having a meltdown on my front porch Halloween night, so I am going with that.
2. A Hummer H1 - it's a military vehicle that they tweek a little and put on the consumer market.
3. Originally, it was for work purposes (he is in the biodiesel business), but now I think it's a POWER thing.
4. Here in the U.S.
5. LOL...don't know. Some "twisted" person with lots of time on their hands?