Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Purse Ho

Recently I purchased myself a fabulous new purse. (I am a bit of a Purse Ho. It's either purses or cars, and we can't afford for me to "collect" cars.) Many of my girlfriends have commented on it, but the added bonus has been comments from several men.

On Sunday, after yet another guy complimented my purse (the concession guy at the movies), I started to wonder, what is going on around here? My husband might be able to point out a designer purse, but only if it was covered in their logo and it was hanging in a store owned by the brand. (Ok, he might be able to point it out on the street, but he has endured some serious schooling by being married to me, the Purse Ho.)

So what is up with the Target checkout guy, and the barista at Starbuck's, and the man behind me at lunch? Are men really this fashion conscious?

6 comments:

KB said...

Either all of these men are unsually fashion conscious or they've been appropriately schooled by the women in their lives. Or maybe they secretly watch queer eye....

omar said...

Are you sure they weren't just hitting on you? On the first day of Man School, they teach us to pick something to "notice" that isn't cliche. If someone was like, "nice eyes," then you'd be like, "whatever, dude," and you'd flash your wedding ring in a dismissive manor. (Hypothetically.)

But if someone's like, "nice purse," you're like, "hey, he noticed my purse!" If you weren't married, he'd be in. But since you are married, you'd do the wedding ring thing again, and tell him to move on.

Anonymous said...

"Nice purse" is probably okay. "Nice [designer name]" is iffy. "Nice [designer name], my [female i.e. wife girlfriend sister etc.] has one just like it" is probably okay. "Nice [designer name], I have one just like it" - not so okay.

Rhonda Sloan said...

As much as I would love to believe that these men are hitting on me, the comments have all been to the effect of "I really like your 'designer name' purse."

And only one of these men set off my gaydar (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Super Happy Girl said...

The way I see it, there are only two options really:
-Hitting on you
-Gay (nothing wrong with that!)

I mean really, men knowing designer purses AND commenting about them?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I blame David Beckham and his metrosexual introduction of the "man purse."