Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"What the F*ck" Wednesday? -- How children of the 80's got screwed

Kids have a lot of cool things at their disposal these days...and it's kind of annoying. (I'm not bitter, I swear.) I can't imagine how different my high school experience would have been with a computer and the Internet. I learned to type on a typewriter. When I worked on the school newspaper, we had to cut and paste (meaning scissors and glue, kiddos!) copy onto layout boards. If you had to do research you went to the library for days on end looking through real books and encyclopedias. So, while I realize this totally dates me, and makes me feel a little old-ish, I felt the need to say something when I saw this today.




Yes, that's right. This CHILD is learning to drive in a hot, little convertible.







Someone has lost their mind. I learned to drive in a Pontiac Bonneville...and driver's ed was with like four other kids in the car...and not a cute car, it was some ugly four door thing. We were forced to sit there while everyone had a chance to drive. This kid is on his own, top down, just cruising in the slow lane (at 40 miles an hour, I would like to add).

What the f*ck?

7 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'll never forget the Drivers Ed instructor frantically pushing the magical passenger side brake whenever it was my turn and I attempted illegal left turns on red. Whenever my husband drives I wish I had a passenger brake thingy.....and maybe a steering wheel too.

How many times did you nick, dent, scratch, or crash the family or your car until you got the hang of driving? Yeah, me too!

Super Happy Girl said...

When I was in high school we had to walk 5 miles to the nearest bus stop, in the snow, uphill...nah I'm kidding.

I hear you! My son (14) goes to a 0 hour church class (we're LDS), this teenage kid (about 17) drives a HUMMER to the class...A FREAKIN' HUMMER. That idiot parent needs to be beaten.

This post totally dated you Rhonda ;)
We did get screwed btw.

KB said...

Never did formal driver's ed let alone driver's ed in a convertible. My driver's ed was my dad and a bright yellow Toyota Tercell. Quite stressful for all invovled, including the car, which needed a new clutch by the time I was through....

Anonymous said...

Can't remember much about learning to drive except that I avoided it for as long as possible because I was sure I would crash. I actually got my pilot's licence first! Then I learned how to ride a little motor scooter and then eventually resorted to learning to drive a Hillman Imp. Those were the days. Hey Rhonda, I miss your invented meanings on my blog. Was it something I said?

omar said...

My Drivers Ed class was in a Ford Crown Victoria, like the old cop cars.

This isn't really the best climate for convertibles, but still, I would have liked a nicer car to learn in.

Anonymous said...

This is just WRONG! And I can't remember our driver's ed cars but I know they were equipped with cool-suckers, little hidden widgets that devoured anything resembling coolness and spewed clouds of uncool. I think we had do drive for miles and miles, barefoot. Through snow. And we LIKED it, because we had RESPECT for those psychotic adults yelling and flailing their arms at us, making us do horrible things like *shudder* drive with our eyse open. And stuff.

Anonymous said...

This is just WRONG! And I can't remember our driver's ed cars but I know they were equipped with cool-suckers, little hidden widgets that devoured anything resembling coolness and spewed clouds of uncool. I think we had do drive for miles and miles, barefoot. Through snow. And we LIKED it, because we had RESPECT for those psychotic adults yelling and flailing their arms at us, making us do horrible things like *shudder* drive with our eyse open. And stuff.

Also if this is a duplicate? It's because Blogger SUCKS.