Saturday, December 30, 2006

Gifts and Grievances (like Turkey and trauma but with presents!)

Christmas is over. Whew. We just returned from 8 days in Florida. That might sound fabulous (and in reality, it wasn't all bad), but we stayed at my in-laws house...a two bedroom home that is not baby-proofed in any form or fashion. So, I spent 8 days sleeping on a FUTON in the "lanai" (which by the way, has no curtains on the windows) and chasing my daughter around making sure she wasn't eating dishwashing soap or sticking her fingers in sockets. (And their internet connection is DIAL-UP! EEK!)

Otherwise, it was a nice time. My favorite sister-in-law was there, so we drank lots of wine and read plenty of trashy magazines. I wasn't forced to make my own gifts this year. And we ate really decadent meals all week long (I was actually SICK of food and sweets by the time I got home), so I guess all in all it was a pretty good holiday.

Oh, I almost forgot the best part (in regards to blogging!)...my in-laws live in a retirement community and all I can say is that it is a site to behold. So stay tuned for my YARD TCHOTCHKE PARADE...coming in the next day or two. Them old people love cheesy lawn decor.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TCHOTCHKE -Ha! I had to sound that out.
Can't wait for the pictures.

"I wasn't forced to make my own gifts this year", are you usually forced to make your gifts?

The best part of Christmas is the food, and eating decent food. Sounds like you had a good times, except for the non-baby proofed place, I know, there are a million things to watch for.

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

dalene said...

Welcome back. Happy New Year! And I can't wait for your next post!

omar said...

Old people really do love the lawn decor. I eagerly await the Tchotchke Parade!

For Christmas, I got you a bookcase. Currently, it's in the form of a tree, but with a few rough cuts, some sandpaper, and a few nails, it's a beautiful three-shelf corner bookcase.

Rhonda Sloan said...

NCS - Check out this post for the story about making my own gift. http://aintitfunny-rhonda.blogspot.com/2006/12/things-i-do-not-want-for-christmas.html

CW - Thanks!

Omar - Can't wait for my bookcase!