Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"What the f*ck?" Wednesday

A friend in the neighborhood is expecting her second child, so a few of us decided to throw her a little pampering party. (Because people are incredibly reluctant to agree to an actual baby shower for their second. What's up with that? It's not like we asked you to wear white pants before Memorial Day.) Manis, pedis, brunch and mimosas at a local salon ... and the only gifts were diapers. Easy. We divided the food list up and it was done.

Last Saturday, I called the girls to make sure we had everything covered. Nam, who was handling cake and fruit salad, tells me she hasn't really figured out the petit fours yet, but she's on it. This was at 5 p.m. on Saturday for an 11 a.m. party on Sunday. I give her a little tough love and figure she will just get a cake at the grocery store and be done with it.

On Sunday morning, she shows up with these ...




Of course we all ooh and ahh about how cute and fabulous they are. Come to find out, she MADE them. Not only that, she's never made petit fours before, she just decided to try. Oh, and they were delicious. And the flowers? She made those too. Out of gum paste (whatever that is).

WTF? I guess next time I should just worry about my hash brown casserole and leave Nam alone. Not that I expect any less from her. She's one of those Super Moms who has it all under control. Three children under 4 ... no problem. Nurse twins? Handled it. Baby books? All done. (I'm still working on Anabella's.) Completing her PhD. Uh huh.

Luckily, she's really laid back and cusses like a sailor, so we can still be friends even when she shows up with professional-looking petit fours that she just threw together the night before.



-- The B.S. Cafe is now serving pastry envy.



P.S. What's Scarlett sitting on today? HOLY CRAP it's an actual chair!


10 comments:

omar said...

Wait, I can't wear white pants yet?

Trix in the Stix said...

Omar... you're a dude... you should NEVER wear white pants!!

Anonymous said...

wow, i now can cross off #51 on my top 100 things to do before i die: make it onto rhonda's blog. and the subject of a wtf, no less!

KB said...

OMG! Those petit fours are gorgeous and she MADE them...and it was her first attempt. I'm impressed and more than a little envious.

Trix in the Stix said...

I don't know I think we may need to monitor Nam making another batch.... then and only then will I believe it!

omar said...

I was going to suggest the possibility that Nam is running some kind of sweatshop in her basement where hers and other kids are performing the work that she's taking credit for, while enduring less-than-optimal work conditions. And, as Trix said, the only way to know for sure is to be there while she makes another batch for you to eat. I did not say that before because 1) I would not get to experience the deliciousness, so there's no benefit to me, and 2) I didn't want to offend Nam, who probably is not running a sweatshop, no matter how compelling the evidence is to the contrary.

Trix: re: the white pants - noted.

Brian o vretanos said...

Well, they certainly look the business...

And Scarlett sitting on a chair. What did I say?

Jean Knee said...

whazup with the chair???

run out of other sit onable stuff?

Super Happy Girl said...

I just want to say that Nam makes us look bad.



PS: And for "us" I mean me.
Thanks Nam!

Heather said...

Those are the cutest little boobie petit fours I've ever seen! Perfect theme for a baby shower!