Sunday, March 22, 2009

Just fry it

I took the girls to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo this week. We've been before, but this year Anabella really got it ... she asked lots of questions about the animals, had a great time in the petting zoo, and insisted on getting a cowboy hat. A few highlights ...

I've seen a lot of longhorns in my life, but this dude was HUGE. Seriously. This picture does him no justice.


The birthing center was extremely cool, and of course little kids love baby animals. We saw newborn calves, piglets, goats, chicks, lambs, etc.




The petting zoo was also a big hit, but I couldn't get any photos. The animals are super aggressive if you go in there with food. A deer tried to eat my hoodie and one a**hole goat kept kicking me in the back of the leg every time I turned away from him. After 10 minutes of fighting off the inmates, all I had left was the ice cream cone the kibble came in. I gave it to Ninja Goat so we could make our escape and for the rest of the afternoon, Anabella kept saying "goats sure do like ice cream." Ha. I don't know what's in the kibble, but the goats will kill you for it.

After the petting zoo, we went to get Anabella some Dipping Dots, but I somehow managed to go without eating any rodeo food. This sign is part of the reason ... just the thought of all this stuff gave me premonitions of an evening full of unpleasant BMs.



Why? Why do we need to fry everything? Fries, chicken fingers, pickles ... fine. But I draw the line at candy bars and key lime pie. Are we just looking for ways to make things as fattening as they can possibly be? And I am guessing the picture of the Twinkie was taken before they threw him in vat of boiling oil.



-- The B.S. Cafe is now serving it fried. What is it? Doesn't matter. It's fried.



P.S. What's Scarlett sitting on today? A carousel. But just barely. This thing was supercharged.

9 comments:

omar said...

Mmmm, fried cheesecake... and fried baby pigs...

KB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KB said...

Goats are EVIL! One of my earlist memories is a goat eating the belt on my dress at a petting zoo.

Bee (the one who muses) said...

FRIED PICKLES??? I must have one!

The ninja goat would have respected me because I love goat meat and they can tell. ;o)

Brian o vretanos said...

I've never tried a deep fried chocolate bar, but they're all the rage in Scotland, where the locals are forever looking for ways to stay at their number one position as the heart-attack capital of the world. They use Mars Bars, which are a bit like Snickers.

Anonymous said...

Bee, fried pickles are super yummy! So are fried oreos... but not 6 of them in one sitting!

Jean Knee said...

next they'll be deep frying the lard before using it to fry the cheesecake

Unknown said...

Goats can be very aggressive. Never mock their taste in music.

As to that big horned beastie, I think I'd give him a very wide berth ...

Rhonda Sloan said...

Omar - maybe we could suggest Fried Voles for next year?

KB - I mourn the loss of your belt.

Bee - You dip them in ranch. It's DELISH.

Brian - Are you sure Scotland holds that title? I would have bet USA all the way on that one.

Carol - Fried oreos are just wrong. Oreos are perfect ... don't mess with them. Besides, a fried Oreo dipped in milk? Gag.

Jean Knee - Wouldn't surprise me.

Chris - He had lots of berth, don't worry.