Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day (Poo) Party Weekend

The holiday took on a whole new meaning at our house this year. On Friday, my sweet little daughter found a new fun way to pass the time...playing with her own poo. I went to get her from her afternoon nap, and even though her diaper and pants were still on, little pieces of poo were everywhere.

She's been in a toddler bed for several months now, so we have a baby gate at her bedroom door to keep her from freely roaming around at night. Apparently she wasn't pleased with the pace at which I came to release her from captivity, so she decided to throw poo over the gate to let me know. It was like visiting the zoo and having the monkeys throw crap at you.

So after 45 minutes of "laboring" over poo cleanup, I started to get a little worried. Why does she not find this disgusting? How could I stop this from happening again? After a little online research, I found that this is a fairly common problem in toddlers (WHEW) and also found several ideas for putting a stop to the problem.

Unfortunately for the babysitter (the crazy sitter from past posts), I forgot to share all of this information and she was greeted with a similar scene when she went to get Ms. Thing from her bedroom on Sunday morning. (We were at a swanky hotel for a one-night "babymoon".) Whoops.


Later that evening, the hubby commented that perhaps our little angel was doing this because she was immediately whisked into a bubble bath after each incident, which is her all time favorite thing at the moment.

So even though I am worried all over again (if she is this clever at 2, what is she going to be like at 16?), the idea has also helped me to get over the grody factor because now my child is a genius, not just some average poo-flinger.

7 comments:

omar said...

I've heard of this, but thank goodness, my boy has not (yet) engaged in this activity.

Hopefully the poo flinging subsides before little sis arrives.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. What a clever child! I love the fact that you were concerned why she did not intuitively find this disgusting. (It's kind of like when you find our your kid has been eating dog food and you wonder how he didn't know that was really gross.)

But yes it is normal and eventually they do grow out of using poo as a medium for finger painting. Thank goodness!

Super Happy Girl said...

Oh no.
My kids didn't do that and I just can't imagine haiving to clean up. Hey, at least is toodler poop :)
Having kids is a lot of work, more than anyone ever told me or I could've imagined. Hope it all somehow stops.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. Talk about guilt. I gave you the bubble bath for her birthday.

Rhonda Sloan said...

Omar - Lucky, lucky, lucky you.

CW - FINGER painting with poo? Hopefully we don't reach that stage. So far it's just been throwing poo on the floor.

NCS - That doesn't make it any better. :)

Stasa - That's right! This is all your fault!

Anonymous said...

Just the squishy factor alone keeps me from doing the poo. I don't even like Winnie the Pooh. Thats just how anti-poo I am.

Special K ~Toni said...

Both my boys made masterpieces on the living room walls with their poop. Aren't I lucky??