Sunday, April 19, 2009

The 18-year-old lie

I was recently sitting in the lobby of Massage Envy waiting for my appointment, when a man who worked there approached me.

Man: Hi, Rhonda. Do you remember me?

Me: No, I'm sorry I don't.

Man: I'm Jeff. I knew you when you dated Gilmer.

Me: (laughing loudly) I can assure you I have NEVER dated anyone named Gilmer.

Man: Sure you did.

Me: (Completely dumbfounded ... going through list of men in head .. sure there was one Bubba, but that was short lived...)

Man: Jonathan GILMER Lastname. (a man I lived with for over a year when I was 20.) He was a good friend of mine.

Me: Are you kidding me? (start to laugh uncontrollably)

Jeff: (Completely dumbfounded) Ummm ...

Me: He told me he didn't have a middle name!! I always felt bad for him because his name was so generic. I lived with him for f*ck's sake! I can't believe he lied about that ... (rambled on for a while longer)

Poor Jeff. I think I did manage to ask if he was married and such, but I wasn't listening (his name might not even be Jeff). I just couldn't let go of the G. R. (Gilmer Revelation)

So there it is. I have officially dated a Bubba and a Gilmer. Next thing you know, I am going to find out Dan's real name is Navin or Englebert.



-- The B.S. Cafe is now serving a renewed satisfaction with my own middle name.


P.S. What's Scarlett sitting on today?


I think Laura is on to something here ... Scarlett seems more cat-like every day. Except she's not nearly as tidy.

10 comments:

omar said...

Bubba? Really?

Rhonda Sloan said...

Yes, sad but true. In my defense, he was very good looking and a great kisser. But I could only handle it for a few weeks. When I found out he lived in a trailer, it was over.

omar said...

Sorry, but no. The only plausible defense is that he went by the nickname "Greg" or something, and it wasn't until you had already started making out with him that you found out his name was Bubba.

Trix in the Stix said...

Bubba! HA!!

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha

Super Happy Girl said...

No! Bubba? Gilmer?
Oh Rhonda :D

Super Happy Girl said...

"Massage Envy" = me totally envious

Rhonda Sloan said...

Ok, let's focus on GILMER, not Bubba!

Bubba's actual name was "Dale" which is the name he gave me at out first meeting. Later, like a few hours later, I found out that everyone called him Bubba.

See, not as shameful.

Unknown said...

Did Bubba have a middle name?

C'mon, we've a right to know ...

Jean Knee said...

oh my gawwwd, I'll never sleep again

thanks