Monday, August 17, 2009

Bee Gees, fuzzy boots and Pabst Blue Ribbon

After happy-hour cocktails to celebrate my friend Kathy's birthday on Saturday night, the group decided to continue the party down the street at the House of Blues. Little did we know that we would find a treasure ... a band that would play excellent music AND make us laugh until we cried. (In fact, we all stood around in disbelief for a good five minutes with a "is this for real?" look on our faces.)

I give you Tragedy, a heavy metal, Bee Gees tribute band.

Yes, you heard me correctly. Think heavy metal sound, disco lyrics, spandex, glitter and some crazy showmanship. (If I had known, I would have brought a real camera, but the iPhone didn't do too bad.) They rocked all the classic Bee Gees stuff, but the pièce de résistance was their version of the Barbra Streisand tune "I am a woman in love." (I almost peed myself.)

If you ever get the opportunity, you have to go see these guys. The music was great (if you enjoy hard rock and the Bee Gees) and watching men dance around in spandex jumpsuits is surprisingly entertaining.



Yes, that is a slightly hefty guy wearing silver spandex shorts, fuzzy pink boots and hot-pink, elbow-length gloves. This photo really doesn't do his beer belly justice.


P.S. There was also an AC/DC tribute band that sounded exactly like the original (and they definitely looked the part). They were excellent, but unless you are wearing fuzzy boots and spandex shorts, you don't get an entire blog post.


P.P.S. Dan thought is was hysterical that HOB serves Pabst Blue Ribbon. Apparently, it brought back some high-school memories for him, so he bought a bucket of them and made us all drink one. Yuk.

8 comments:

Bijoux said...

This entire scenario just sounds wrong to me. But I'm glad you really do know how to spell Pabst Blue Ribbon, as evidenced at the end of this post :)

Rhonda Sloan said...

LOL ... it was bad enough that I had to drink it. Now I have to spell it right too?

KB said...

OMG! I knew I left the party too soon. :(

Brian o vretanos said...

One of the problems faced by those of us who aren't as trim as we once were is trying to find clothes that fit. Now I can see that the answer to all my problems is spandex shorts and fluffy pink boots...

secret agent woman said...

Here via Matt. That's really very funny - heavy metal Bee Gees. I saw the originals in concert as a tenager a million years ago.

PBRs are trendy right now among you people for reasons that elude me. Their cheapness, maybe. I'll pass.

Bee said...

That looks cheeserificlly awesome! I'll have to see if they will be making a pit stop in Chitown.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I saw that band advertised at HOB! I really thought about going but didn't get the same excitement from the hubby. Next time I see a gem like that advertised, I'm calling you!

Jean Knee said...

what's not to love? they sound rockin