Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Potty Monkey

When you become a parent, the days of going into a bathroom alone are pretty much over. And now that Anabella is almost potty trained, she finds the bathroom to be a place where everyone is welcome.

The scene: I'm in the bathroom doing my business, but then the door quickly swings wide open ...

Anabella: MOMMY! You're going POTTY!

Me: Yes, I am. I'll be out in a minute.

Anabella: (Completely ignoring me) Are you going peepee and poopoo, mommy?

Me: (Completely ignoring Anabella)

Anabella: You're going peepee and poopoo in the POTTY! You get a prize, mommy!

Me: Umm, okay. Thanks.

Anabella: (very serious face) I have to see it first.

Me: I don't think that's necessary. I don't really need a prize.

Anabella: Are you done? Let me see! Don't flush, mommy! (practically pushing me off the toilet)

Me: (Feeling like I've been transported into the movie Freaky Friday) Okay, you can flush for me. (Head to sink to wash hands and regain self respect.)

Anabella: Good job, mommy. You did it! (pauses) OOOH, STINKY! (flushes toilet)

Me: (Wondering what I did to deserve this.)

Anabella: Come on, mommy! Let's go get your prize! (Starts to run toward kitchen, but then stops abruptly. Turns to me with another very serious look on her face.) You only get ONE prize, mommy.

And here it is. My prize for not pooping my pants.




So clearly it's time to reconsider my potty-training tactics. While I would like to believe that Anabella was just being an excited three-year-old child, I think she was actually teaching me a lesson in bathroom dignity for all people, big and small.

But then again, I don't lie about pooping to get stickers.


-- The B.S. Cafe is now serving a healthy portion of role reversal with a side of TP.


7 comments:

Trix in the Stix said...

Sweet! I want a Potty Monkey... bring AB on over to my place... plenty of peepee and poopoo to go around! Although she'd have to trust me and wouldn't be able to inspect til after I exit the bathroom... ALONE (atleast then I could spray and would be able to avoid the "oooh stinky" comment)!

omar said...

Now the whole Internet knows you poop!

Super Happy Girl said...

When I visit you one of these days, I won't use the bathroom.
Promise.

KB said...

I think I need to call my mother....and apologize, again.

Jean Knee said...

I feel ripped off. when my kid was potty training she always said stuff like "Mama, you did it"
"good job!"

but I never got a prize :(

Jean Knee said...

lousy ingrate

~Sheryl said...

Wait! Lying about pooping to get stickers is wrong?

damn.