Thursday, January 08, 2009

Bored Rhonda strikes



This is what happens when I get bored and/or ancy. (Luckily for my corworkers it doesn't happen too often). The best part of this prank, besides the hour of giggling while post-it-noting everything in sight, was the email I received the next day from the victim.

I will preface this by saying that 1.) like many corporations, our help desk is located in India. And just about everyone here would rather stab themselves in the eye than call the help desk, 2.) we still Lotus Notes as our email system, and 3.) if you've never called a corporate help desk, you will not find this at all funny and should move on to your next blog.

I love working with creative people ....


TRANSCRIPT
BEGIN CALL 2008-12-19 0747
S.PATEL: Thank you for calling AIG Technical Support. Can I get your Name and ID please?
CALLER: Stephen Bedford, U38PS08
S.PATEL: Thank you very much for that Mr. Culford. For verification purposes, what was the name of your mother's first cat?
CALLER: Uh, hold on a minute. Let me look that up. Sunshine
S.PATEL: Thank you very much for that Mr... Steve. How can I help you
CALLER: My computer is covered in post-it notes
S.PATEL: I see. You want to post something to a drive?
CALLER: No. My computer, my keyboard, my mouse, everything is covered in post-it notes.
S.PATEL: I see. Please hold on for one moment
S.PATEL: I see. I need to transfer you to our Notes group. Please hold.
CALLER: No. Not the Notes group! Not Lotus Notes, post-it notes. My entire workstation is covered in post-it notes.
S.PATEL: I see. Have you tried to re-boot the system?
CALLER: It was off when this happened.
S.PATEL: I am understanding you correctly that something bad happened to your computer while you were away?
CALLER: Yes. I was out of the office for the afternoon picking up my child from school.
S.PATEL: We need to file a security report for this malicious activity. What is your location?
CALLER: AT-35. But I don't think it is malicious.
S.PATEL: Are you able to use your computer?
CALLER: Well, no. Not without removing the post-its.
S.PATEL: So something has been installed onto your computer that must be removed prior to you being able to work, is that correct?
CALLER: Er, yes.
S.PATEL: Please hold while I speak with my director. This is quite serious Mr... Laford.
S.PATEL: Mr....I have been informed that nothing is wrong.
CALLER: What?
S.PATEL: A security patch was installed last night. You should have received a notification of this. Nothing is wrong.
CALLER: Uh, ok.
S.PATEL: Thank you for your call. Is there anything else I can help you with?
CALLER: No. I guess all is good. Thank you.
S.PATEL: Good bye.
END CALL
END TRANSCRIPT

8 comments:

Trix in the Stix said...

HA! That's great... love that he called the Help Desk to get the Post-its removed!!

FYI... I don't call our "corporate" help desk (you couldn't be more right about calling the corporate help desk)... I cheat and walk around the corner and make those IT guys help me!

omar said...

As a Help Desk guy myself, it hurts to read this.

The post-its are fantastic, though.

floribunda said...

I guess that's more fun than removing absolutely everything from the desktop and cubicle so that the person returning to his desk wonders if he's walked into a black hole of some sort... I'd have a hard time remembering the name of my mother's first cat!

Bee said...

Ha ha ha! How fun! About the post it notes I mean. There is an insurance company I have to call and hate doing it because they're in India too and just read from a script. >:o[

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are too scared of me to do anything! Since you like post-its so much I think you will like this one too.
http://saranwraphell.blogspot.com/

Dan said...

That's almost as bad as calling the cable company for help, they had me on for 2 hours.

Jean Knee said...

ha. We ate at a Japanese restaurant last week and r the chef kept jokingly insulting me (which I would have loved ) but I couldn't understand him. hub had to translate and by then it was too late

Anonymous said...

That is not how my conversation transpired with Mr. Cularford. We are have very stricked procedures to follow. I have no regret.

Very truly Yours,
Shirali