Sunday, August 17, 2008

Only in Texas

I was reading this morning that a small Texas town will be allowing teachers and school staff, who have a license and crisis training, to bring firearms to school. At first, I was like "Here is my next WTF? Wednesday!" But then as I read further, it started to seem like an idea I might entertain if I lived in this town.

The school is in an area that takes emergency responders 30 minutes to reach...and with all the things that happen in schools these days. Well, what do you think?

Here are a few links to the story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1538661720080815

http://texomashomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=12711



5 comments:

Trix in the Stix said...

They really don't give a lot of info do they?
Like... where will the guns be stored? Are the teachers just going to strap on a gun holster and carry them around all day? Not a good idea. Maybe if they kept them locked up... but then would they even be able to get to them in time if they were to ever need them? What if one of the teachers went crazy ape shit and started shooting everyone???

Sad that it's gotten so crazy out there that schools feel they need to resort to something like this.

KB said...

I don't know what to think - it's scary either way. I really don't like the idea of a school being 30 minutes away from emergency responders. Why can't they just station one cop in the school during the day, makes more sense than arming the teachers.

Avodrock said...

I don't think it's a bad idea considering the police response time. However, anyone who might have access to these weapons should have a full background check and the proper firearm training.

We trust these teachers with our kids, can't we trust them to protect them as well? at all cost?

Dan said...

I wonder what would have happend at Columbine if a couple of the staff members had guns?

Jean Knee said...

yeee hawwww, I've got to go back to teaching.