Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"What the F*ck" Wednesday? -- Thoughts on the Superbowl








What happened to the Superbowl this year? I watched the entire thing, including 3 hours of pregame filler, and was pretty unimpressed with just about every aspect. It was bad enough that both teams played really sloppy football, (I was rooting for the Bears, mainly because Peyton Manning is on my nerves, but also because I really like Chicago...so, it was a bummer when they lost.) but here is my list of additional grievances:

1. WTF was Katie Couric doing at the desk with all the commentators? She is about as UN-football as you can get.

2. WTF was up with the commercials. They were really disappointing. The beer commercials were all mildly amusing, but the Go Daddy commercial was just plain stupid as were all of the Sierra Mist commercials. (I was so sick of hearing about the K-Fed commercial, that I took a bathroom break during its showing.) I record the whole game so I can go back and see the commercials again, but there was no need this year. Total bummer.

3. Being a child of the 80's, I like Prince, but he didn't really seem like an appropriate choice for the halftime show. (And what was with that phallic guitar solo behind the sheet?!) It would have been a lot better show if someone would have busted their ass on that wet stage.

WTF
National Football League? I know we are all still really traumatized over seeing Janet Jackson's nipple, but can we get over it already? Quit playing it safe!

6 comments:

yerdoingitwrong said...

I love your Superbowl review. And I agree with it all. The commercials sucked big time, Except I did like the Dorito one. Thankfully I missed the K-Fed one, too. ugh. We've seen enough of that dude! And Katie Couric. c'mon! I'm with you!!! WTF???

omar said...

I was suprised about the commercials, too. Every commercial break, I was like, "they spent $2.5 million on THAT?!?"

And re: the halftime entertainment, this is why I continue to call the NFL the No Fun League.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

We ate all the Superbowl style food without suffering through all the Superbowl style suckiness.
Infidels-1
Frito Lay/Oscar Meyer/Coke- 10
NFL-0

Super Happy Girl said...

My SuperBowl experience: I watched all the commercials on YouTube. No one watched the SB at home. We are a baseball family :)

Katie Couric? really? :P

Looks like the Infidels won this year. Way to go Infidels!

Bones said...

I'm so with you. The superbowl would have been much better if the Patriots were in it. And the only thing worse than the ads themselves are the fact that Ford and Snickers pulled their ads because the anti-suicide people and some gay rights group decided it was offensive for a robot to get depressed and 2 men to do a lady in the tramp with a candy bar. Cry me a river!

Oh, and I met Aikman about 6 years ago. What a cool cat.

KB said...

Not that I'm a huge football fan, but that was not impressive at all. And, I agree, the commercials were a major disappointment.