Wednesday, July 08, 2009

"What the f*ck?" Wednesday

The IT gestapo is at it again
First, they blocked the National Nap Month site, because reading about napping is "malicious," and now they have blocked Kodak Gallery, because it's a "personal network storage and backup" site. Uh huh. So? Weirdly enough, you can still access Snapfish and Shutterfly and Flickr. Just not the one site I use. WTF?

And it's also strangely and ridiculously random. I can visit one of my favorite blogs ("F*ck you, Penguin") one day and the next day it tells me that site is "tasteless." You can't email me a document with the word "f*ck" in it, but I can email my list of our 200 top executives that same document, no problem.

Bad marketing, Texas
I saw this sign last week and it gave me the heeby jeebies. WTF is up with the creepy-ass sign, Texas? I don't mind participating in an extended neighborhood watch, but could we get a better mascot? The guy with the extra wide shoulders, teeny tiny head and crazy eyes kind of looks like one of the Sand People from Star Wars.




Inappropriate Behavior
As I sit here writing this, I hear one of my coworkers return to the office. He's eating something, he opens a can of coke, and then I hear him ... clipping his nails??? I walk over to see why he is back, but it's not Stephen. It's the janitor. Hanging out in Stephen's cube for a quick bite and some personal hygiene. WTF? What else is going on in our cubicle nation after hours?


10 comments:

omar said...

Wow, that janitor thing is not cool.

I am the IT gestapo where I work, but because it's a university, we pretty much don't block anything (someone will argue that any website is educational and that we're blocking our students' ability to learn). I'd love to get the chance to mess with people and randomly block sites they visit.

KB said...

It's bad enough when people clip their nails in their own office space, but to clip your nails in something else's WAY gross.

Blocking FU Penguin....not only is your IT Gestapo random, it has NO sense of humor.

Trix in the Stix said...

Well no surprise I just clicked on FU Penguin... and it's blocked here too! I'm just waiting for them to block blogs in general... then what will I do when I'm bored?!

Bee said...

EWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! I am so disgusted right now with the whole janitor thing ::shiver!::

I once left a banana on my desk and I could swear it had been moved when I came in the next day so I threw it in the garbage. ::shiver::

Brian o vretanos said...

At some point companies will presumably have to give up trying to block things, since it doesn't really work.

Do you think he always uses that cubicle, or just when yours is occupied?

Stasa said...

Update -- they have now blocked Snapfish, too. Flickr is still accessible. So is Shutterfly. Really, IT... wtf?

Jean Knee said...

that whole cubicle thing gives me the shivers

Bijoux said...

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to IT dept blockage.

TOTALLY GROSS on the nail clippage!

Bijoux said...

I was trying to remember the name of the sporting goods site that my husband gets blocked from at work.......Juggs!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm... surprised that FU Penguin is not blocked here. It's only a matter of time now that I actually opened the site though. They also block the weirdest things here.

Most photo site are except for Flickr. However you can get into My Space without a problem. I think there is more inappropriate material on My Space!

Going to spend the rest of the day trying not to think about your janitor! Thanks!