Monday, July 06, 2009

Bringing the fun back to holidays

I get joy from my children almost every day, but one thing that is really so super awesome fantastic about little kids is how much they enjoy holidays. Anabella really "got" July 4th this year, which made it my best July 4th in at least a decade. (My last awesome July 4th included me losing my hearing for about two weeks, but that's another post.)

My friend Stasa threw a great party, complete with babysitters and lots of activities for the kiddos. And she lives about a block away from the location of the biggest fireworks in Houston, so it couldn't have been a better evening. Anabella discovered her love of glow-in-the-dark jewelry and fire, in the form of sparklers ...


... and we had an incredible view of the fireworks display. (Sorry, but iPhone isn't equipped for that kind of photography.)



So it totally made up for having to stay in this hell-hole weather, instead of taking our usual trip to Michigan, where they are enjoying 70-degree days. (Bastards.)

Dan also cleaned our pool this weekend, evicting our two resident frogs and their million or so offspring. (He also had to kill a water spider that was apparently the size of his hand. Eeek.) Which means I no longer have to listen to frogs fornicating as I go to sleep at night. Oh. And I can swim in my pool. Yeah!



P.S. What's Scarlett balancing on her head today? A box of mac & cheese, of course.



3 comments:

KB said...

Love the picture of AB and the sparkler!

Brian o vretanos said...

That photo of Anabella looks like something out of a Steven King film...

Stasa said...

I'm hiding the photos of my girl with the sparkler -- my mother would never ever forgive us. Thanks for coming!