Sunday, September 21, 2008

Surviving Ike

We're still here! Things are not really back to normal, but I do have electricity and Internet access, so that's a good start.

There have been ridiculously long lines for gas...

and groceries...

and even when you get inside, the selection is limited. (Poor Flamin' Hot Funyuns...no fun even when food is scarce.)

And of course, limited electricity means not much air conditioning, which is very hard to live without in Houston.


As of this morning, 36% of the city still has no electricity. Most of the traffic lights aren't working, so traffic is a nightmare...and there is debris everywhere...

But we are still here!

More photos soon...

8 comments:

Dan said...

Wow, that sucks.
I feel really bad for the funyuns......and all the people and stuff.
Nice to know you're alive and well.

Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved you're OK. (Except for the part about only having funyuns for food.)

Take care--we're all praying for what my nine-year-old calls "The Hurricane People."

Anonymous said...

Are you still seeing lines for gas and food? I was up until about Thursday of last week but I haven't seen too much of a problem since. Bread still seems to be hard to find up here on the north side but everything else is available.

compulsive writer - I don't know why being called "The Hurricane People" has made my day but it did. Tell your 9-year-old that he (she?) made one of the hurricane people smile today!

Super Happy Girl said...

:( That totally sucks.
Glad to know you are all ok. Getting back to that mess looks like no fun.

And there's really no fun in funyuns, despite their name.

~Sheryl said...

Glad to read you are ok. Sorry to get all stalkery (is that a word) on you. You were just heavy on my mind.

I can't imagine the huge disruption, but thank goodness you are all okay.

Funyons I could deal with... but Flamin' Hot Funyons... not so much.

Jean Knee said...

oh those poor little funyens. people won't even eat them during a disaster

Trix in the Stix said...

Well at least the grocery & gas lines have gone down now. Now we just have to contend with the HORRENDOUS TRAFFIC!! Seriously it is nauseating!

- Still Powerless Trix (AARGH)!!

KB said...

Poor funyons....but I'd have to be pretty hungry. It has been an adventure, but I'm glad we're nearing the end of it (hopefully!)